Australia

Australia
Brisbane

Sunday, April 21, 2013

My relaxing weekend

On Friday my homestay mom, Heather, picked Kelli and me up from campus and took us to the mall. We had a wonderful lunch at an upscale cafe--I had a chicken cesear salad and an orange juice and spent $27.... yeah. But it was delicious. We spent the majority of our time just wandering around the mall. I passed a book store and The Great Gatsby caught my eye. Only $4 so I bought it. (Took me a couple days but it was quite interesting. I am intrigued to see how they did the movie.) On Thursday Heather introduced us to a British sitcom called The Inbetweeners. It is crude and hilarious and we finished the first season in one sitting. While we were at the mall we decided to pick up the second season. We have started watching it and I tell you--the things those boys get in to!! Sometimes I don't want to look but I'm so shocked that I can't look away. Saturday was wonderfully relaxing. We had plans to get down to Brisbane and explore South Bank and see the markets... but it rained all day. In the late afternoon Heather and Kevin were looking up fun things for us to do and they found..... KARAOKE!! I was so excited. I love karaoke.

Kelli and I tried our best to contact all the girls and some of our new QUT friends to join us. A lot of people showed up and nearly everyone sang! We spent a good five hours talking and laughing and singing songs. When it was time to go we all went up on stage and sang Sir mix-a-lot. I don't think anyone in that bar had ever heard the song before because they were laughing and gawking at us. It was one heck of a time though. We went straight to bed when we got home because we had plans for a barbecue and some beach time the next day... If it wasn't raining.

Thankfully the skies were blue and the air was warm when I woke up Sunday morning because I needed some good time in the sun. We met all of the other girls and families at the barbecue around 11:00. People were already setting out blankets and some of the guys were cooking the meat. It smelled delicious! I talked with a lot of students from the QUT campus who had decided to join us and they still can't get over our accents. Haha. At one point some of the young boys wanted to play duck, duck, "goose" (gray duck!) and I decided to join in. Bad idea. I was not wearing shoes and those boys were quick! I took a turn around a chair and ninja rolled onto my back then instantly got back up and started running. I wish I had it on video. Unfortunately it did scrape my back and legs and also gave me a couple bruises. We left the barbecue a little early and moved down the beach to a more open area. It was a beautiful sight.

 We even had some friendly visitors while we were relaxing! These little hermit crabs were everywhere. No matter where I moved I couldn't avoid laying my towel over their holes. They kept trying to get out and I could feel them under me. It was interesting!
I am glad I was able to go swimming because the water was wonderful! And it didn't burn! Every other time I have been in the ocean my skin has burned; but not this time. It was warm and I really enjoyed the waves. Except when the water got in my mouth. That truly is a horrible taste.

And that was my wonderfully relaxing weekend! I can't wait to meet my teacher and all of the students! Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment