Australia

Australia
Brisbane

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Preparing for departure.

I am about to depart on a life-changing journey. About five months ago I decided to apply for student teaching abroad. There were four destination choices but I was mainly interested in Costa Rica and Australia. After a very intense twenty minute interview and two weeks of constantly checking my email I was invited into the Australian Program. I immediately accepted and began my first obstacle--funding. Although very stressful and time consuming I utilized my resources and paid for the entire semester! I recently found out that I will be teaching in a first grade (year one) classroom for three weeks in Morayfield, Queensland. I  could not be more excited!

I am leaving for Brisbane in just a couple days. I have nearly everything packed and ready to go but I cannot shake the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that keeps telling me I FORGOT SOMETHING! It has been an experience all on it's own trying to pack for a month long trip since I am leaving 30 degree weather and lots of snow and arriving in sunny 80 degree beach weather! I keep throwing my long sleeve shirts aside while saying aloud, "You will not wear this. It is too warm." What a concept!

I have visited the Mall of America a couple times this week in search of wonderful gifts for my home-stay family and my cooperating teacher down in Australia. I am proud to say I have found a couple of good gifts! I am going to keep them on the down low for now. I will disclose their awesomeness after they have been presented. I wanted to find a gift that was somewhat original, directed towards the Minnesotan culture, and would be fun to keep around. I truly hope they enjoy them!

I have heard so many wonderful things about Australia from past students and the exchange students from the Caboolture Campus in Australia. I am looking forward to meeting many new people, experiencing a new culture, and teaching with a different curriculum.

I wanted to get started on this blog before I left, I will do my very best to update and add pictures as much as possible!

Oh I almost forgot! The classroom I just finished my first part of student teaching with in Bloomington, Minnesota has just started a Flat Stanly unit! So, for my first week in Australia I will be taking pictures and having adventures with Flat Lincoln (my mentor teacher's son)!! :)

Next time I post will be from the land down under!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Ms Foley! If you forgot anything, you can buy it there I am sure. It will be fun to read about Heather's and your adventures while I sit here and try not to freeze back home! Post pictures and have fun! If you need a ride to the airport, feel free to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you, Margarette! It's already been hard being away from you for this long and now you will be even farther! But we will both be back soon and spend so much time telling each other stories! I can't wait! Love you!

    ReplyDelete